This program was designed to target children on the spectrum for ages 10 to 14. The program introduces specialized skill-based training for children who have limited physical, intellectual, social, and emotional abilities. With that said, more emphasis is placed on building fundamental skills training with a strategic balance of Martial Arts.
By understanding the needs of these children, we have selected 8 skills that make up the Spectrum SKILLZ Program:
We cover one of the above skills per class (in order). During each class we run a warm-up; deliver a mat chat about the skill; run two or three skill-building drills; and then we have them demonstrate the skill to earn their skill-stripe. They must earn all 8 skill-stripes in order to graduate to the next belt level. Once they earn their next belt they will continue to run through all 8 skills earning their skill-stripes with more challenging curriculum as they advance to each rank. They graduate into one of the age-specific SKILLZ program after they have successfully completed all 9 belt ranks of the program.
Here is an example of what a white belt will demonstrate for each of the 8 skills above to earn their next belt:
- Cognizance: Demonstrate 4 Right/Left High Blocks blocking a noodle swung by the instructor
- Consistency: Demonstrate alternating punches down the mat with proper hand position
- Examination: Can find the mistake(s) in the instructor’s punch
- Attentiveness: Must perform moves 1-6 of the Beginner Form w/ instructor
- Explanation: Must answer a question regarding Motivation
- Processing: Can Demonstrate all Beginner hand basics as called out by instructor
- Stamina: Demonstrate STATIC Warm Ups by holding each position for 10 seconds
- Fortitude: Demonstrate 30 seconds of punching alternating arms while maintaining proper technique
As you can see we take Martial Arts training to a whole new level! We use elements of traditional Martial Arts curriculum to build skills that are appropriate for children on the spectrum. This means that your child will learn and grow at a pace that is fun while being challenging enough to help foster development. The best part is the Spectrum SKILLZ program will equip your child with skills that they will utilize in every area of their life!